This year is just slipping by so quickly. As of the end of July I’ve reached 61% of my yearly reading goal. This was a good month though, 3 5 star books out of 7 total read! Quality.
1. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot. 5 stars for teaching me a lot of things about science, race and family. Also for making me cry.
2. Brief Encounters With Che Guevara, Be Fountain. 4 stars for an engaging, at times funny, at times devastating group of stories about war-torn areas of the world.
3. Sandman Vol 10, The Wake, Neil Gaiman. 4 stars for a sad but hopeful end to the original collection of Sandman comics.
4. Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein. 5 stars for being both a puzzle and a heartbreaking story of female friendship in WWII Europe.
5. The Principles of Uncertainty, Maria Kalman. 5 stars because Kalman is just that goddamn charming.
6. Brave New World, Aldous Huxley. 3 stars because I wish I’d found it more engaging plot wise.
7. People of the Book, Geraldine Brooks. 4 stars for the way it expertly weaves the entire history of one beautiful, strange book into a truly compelling narrative.